Friday, January 25, 2013

Driving in Lagos - rules of the road

I somehow forgot to post this, i did intend to finish this series last year...sorry can't edit anymore, even though we now have new 'issues' on Lagos roads....


There are unspoken rules for driving in this city, some of the rules are below;

Assume every road user is either a learner or partially demented, in other words, practice defensive driving always!

Its a false assumption to think that drivers actually notice the lanes on Lagos roads, get used to the constant evolving of new lanes.

Some pedestrians are unbelievably careless when crossing the roads etc, slow down when getting to a bus stop, you never know who has a death wish

People will tail gate you, try not to stop suddenly.

You will get cut off without warning a lot, and still get blamed  for rear ending someone, be ready to apply your breaks rather quickly

Learn to ignore car horns, because you will hear them all day, just tune them out



You cannot tell what sort of vehicle is close to you, simply by the sound of their horn, okada riders have been known to fit trailer horns on their motorcycles, so there..
Your horn is your friend, use it liberally, it has many function; it can scare off Okadas riders, Danfo drivers, Trailers who pack in the middle of the road. It can warn the pedestrians who have death wishes or not ..besides the horn never hurt anybody, so just honk away!

There is no such thing as a one way in Lagos, it is somewhat imaginary, it is not an uncommon sight to see a danfo coming at you with full speed on a supposed one way...

A lot of drivers do not bother to use their pointers, they think it is optional, be super observant.

There will almost always be some idiot who will run the red light, so please  give a few seconds before proceeding on green lights, just to be safe, though the cars behind you will try to deafen you with their horns, just ask them to fly!

Please note that Lastma ( Lagos traffic officials) will turn a blind eye to a commercial driver's flgrant traffic offence and punish regular drivers for honest mistakes ( how does one know a road is only one-way without sign posts uh?). So watch your back.

Finally the new traffic laws in Lagos State are booby traps, maybe we should all just swing from trees, it might just be easier..

Nice weekend everyone...

18 comments:

  1. Loooolll. You forgot to mention the kings of the express, the ones that sell their stuff on third mainland, that expect you to move your car away for the,.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. my sister i forgot them they expect you to park because of them

      Delete
  2. lol, swing from trees it is.

    You know how frustrated you get at the madness of Lagos driving, then one day you realize that you've conquered that madness... by becoming one of them mad folks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. i am sure you are right, there are some things i do now that even me i am shocked i guess i am joining them to o!

      Delete
  3. Lol… I have driven in different countries around the world…9ja is one place I don’t think I’ll ever do #Inowandie#

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dont worry if you need to drive in Lasgidi, you will, no be Naija blood dey for your veins???...lol.. seriously you will adjust

      Delete
  4. The new traffic Laws in Lagos are such booby traps as in gbese will just finish money for person account.

    But then again, I am not even sure if majorities of the drivers know the traffic dos and don't...imagine no car will stop for you at a zebra crossing.

    I just started driving and my major fear are those people who decided to turn the road to their runway or does children who just fly into the road...sigh!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Those kids eh? they scare me too, i am always so cautious driving down some types of area because of those kids i no fit shout!

      Delete
  5. I almost had an incident with a school girl that flew into the road o. Fear wan kill me. Na God save me. This your list should be handed to everyone entering Lagos o

    ReplyDelete
  6. I dont miss Lagos traffic! Things are much better down south.

    As for Lastma, to a greater extent when they were established, i thought they were the best thing that happened to Lagos...till they began to binge on the wine of corruption, smh.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your method of describing all in this paragraph is truly
    good, every one be able to without difficulty be aware of it, Thanks a lot.
    My blog : perfumes

    ReplyDelete
  8. I believe if you can drive in Lagos, you can drive anywhere.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Driving in Lagos feels like I am fighting in a war. Arriving at one's destination is a survival of the fittest challenge. There are no traffic laws....everyone is a law...do whatever suits you regardless of other road users

    ReplyDelete
  10. Funny how most of our laws how be it unwritten work backwards from other countries!
    We can only trust God for change, especially offering to being part of the change.
    Have a super blessed weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I've never driven in Lagos, but I believe I can adapt if I have to, LOL...but seriously, it is not easy, I applaud the regulars who do it.

    Hope you're doing well?

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hahahaaa, u got me laughing especially with the okadas fitting trailer horns! That was funny, this post is spot on abeg!

    ReplyDelete
  13. My programmer is trying tο сonvinсe
    mе to move tо .nеt from PHP. I have alωayѕ
    disliked the idea bеcause of thе expеnѕeѕ.

    But he's tryiong none the less. I've beеn using WordPresѕ on a number of websіtes for about
    а yeaг and am worrіеԁ about ѕwitсhing to
    аnοther ρlatform. I havе heard very good thіngs about blogenginе.
    net. Ιѕ thеre a way I can import all my wordρгеsѕ content intо it?
    Any help ωοuld be grеatly appreciated!
    My web blog :: http://aquwa.com/StephenDu

    ReplyDelete
  14. The Okadas with the trailer's horn is the one which disgusts me most. There was a time I almost jumped into the gutter for fear that a trailer was already closing in on me from behind and I later discovered it was just an Okada. Arrrrggghhh.... I was angry that day eh.

    http://josephomotayo.blogspot.com/2013/02/lagostraffic-many-voices-one-memory-1.html

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from my readers!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...